Siglufjörður is along with the community of Ólafsfjörður a part of The Municipality of Fjallabyggð, which came into being when the two communities were merged in 2006. The area maintains a flourishing cultural activity and is known for its dynamic and vibrant extracurricular activities. There are interesting galleries and artist studios to be visited in town.
Since 2002 Siglufjörður has welcomed cruise ship passengers to visit this small town at the edge of North Iceland that is full of well kept history.
- Iceland's largest maritime museum - awarded with the Europen Museum award in 2004. Brings history to life with local herring girls, accordion playing and last but not least unique exhibitions.
- The Folk Music Centre presents Icelandic folk music in an accessible and entertaining manner through video recordings of people old and young, from all parts of Iceland, singing and chanting.
- Segull 67 is a small family owned craft brewery located just 300 meters from Siglufjörður's port. The brewhouse is in an old fish factory that has been re-designed and adapted.
- Siglufjörður is an area of spectacular natural beauty. The mountains and the fjords are awe-inspiring and therefore ideal for both hiking and kayaking!
- Fjallahestar offers a variety of excellent riding paths in the mountains, surrounded by beautiful landscape and nature. Riding tours for beginners as well as the experienced rider.
- A chocolate café and art gallery. Fríða herself makes all the pieces of chocolate by hand, filling them with a variety of different ingredients, many of them local goods!
- Port of Siglufjördur
Iceland+354 467 1604